The Core is an ensemble for experimental network music with members in the US and Europe. It emerged from the weekly Quarantine Sessions, which started as a way to rehearse and perform during the Covid pandemic. Having played in over 70 public online sessions, the core members of this project are now on a virtual tour, visiting online and on-site festivals and events.
DISCOUNT (performed by The Core)
The Core relies on free and open source software for audio transmission and signal processing. JackTrip is used for audio over IP, SuperCollider for mixing and spatialization and Faust-built dynamic processors take care of the binaural level. Video streaming is realized with OBS Studio and Jitsi. The spatial audio rendering software of the server is used to stream a binaural signal to the audience and the ensemble. This creates an immersive virtual acoustic environment with dynamic sound sources.
In its performances, The Core explores the possibilities of the resulting technical system for improvisation and interpretation. With Hybrid Core this concept is extended, allowing one ore more musicians to play in a concert venue, while connected to the other members.
- MERIDIAN Festival, Bucharest, Romania
- fully virtual with improvisation
- Sinuston Festival, Magdeburg, Germany
- With Hybrid Core the ensemble preformed with one musician on site and five musicians on screen in the venue.
- ICMC, Santiago, Chile
- recorded performance in the listening room
- SEAMUS Conference
- live stream concert
- live streamed performance of Closed Captions and improvisation